Required Tempo product: Tempo Mobile
Tempo Mobile is an app that allows you to sync your Tempo Timesheets installation with your mobile device. It is available for Android and Apple. You can use Tempo Mobile to log work on pre-existing JIRA issues, Tempo Plans, and calendar items from Google and Office 365. You can also use worklogs and trackers to log work on the fly.
Connecting the Tempo Mobile App to Tempo Timesheets
Before you can use the Tempo mobile app you must link it to Tempo Timesheets:
- Click on Menu > Settings > Connect to Tempo Timesheets
- Select either the Cloud or Server option.
- Enter your JIRA username and password. Remember to use your JIRA username and not your e-mail address.
Navigating the Calendar
The Tempo mobile app allows you to see upcoming events and logged time using the Calendar. You can access the calendar using Menu > Calendar.
The calendar is available in day view, week view, and month view. The default setting is week view. You can switch between the views by clicking on the date title and selecting the view from the drop-down list. Previous and successive dates can be viewed by using the left and right brackets surrounding the date.
The calendar can contain cards - these are trackers, worklogs, plans, and events inherited from Google Calendars or Office 365. Days that are linked to cards are indicated with a blue dot below the date.
Each card for the selected date is displayed below the calendar. A card can include detailed information such as start time, end time, duration, description, and a linked JIRA issue.
- Click anywhere on the body of the card for more information, or to make changes to the card.
- Click on the icon at bottom-right to view or edit the JIRA issue linked to the card.
- Click on the Play/Pause icon on Tracker cards to start or stop the timer.
Creating and editing trackers
Trackers are timers that start when you create them, and allow you to automatically track the amount of time you are working, as well as what you will be working on, and any associated JIRA issues.
You can use the Tempo mobile app to add a tracker to your Calendar. To create a tracker in the Calendar:
Add (+) > Tracker
The tracker will now appear as a card in your Calendar view. You can select if you want the tracker to start tracking time immediately, or if you want to manually start the tracker in Menu > Settings.
Once you have created a tracker, you can edit it to provide information about what you are working on and link it to JIRA issues. To edit a tracker:
- In the Calendar, click on the Tracker icon on the card you want to edit.
- Add or change information and click on Update Tracker.
Creating and editing worklogs
Worklogs are used to record time spent working and what was worked on, as well as any linked JIRA issues. You can use the Tempo mobile app to add a worklog to your Calendar. To create a Worklog in Calendar:
- Add (+) > Worklog
The worklog will now appear as a card in your Calendar view.
Before you can save your new worklog, however, you must add a description of what you worked on and the amount of time worked. You must also link the Worklog to a JIRA issue. You can list the time worked by Duration, using start and end times, or by Range, using minutes and hours.
To edit an existing worklog:
- In the Calendar, click on the worklog icon [icon here] on the card you want to edit.
- Add or change information and click on Update Worklog.
Linking calendar events to JIRA issues
When you create new Google Calendar event, you can automatically link it to an existing JIRA issue. This can be done in two ways:
- In the title of the calendar event, place the JIRA issue identifier within brackets, for example: “PTO [INT-2]”.
- From the description box within a calendar event, enter the URL of the JIRA issue you want to assign to that event, for example, “https://yourcompanyname.atlassian.net/browse/INT-2”.
Your calendar event will now be linked to the JIRA issue when viewed in Tempo Timesheets or the Tempo mobile app.
Converting meetings into worklogs
Once you have connected the Tempo mobile app to a Google Calendar, you can convert your calendar items into worklogs. The calendar items should appear in the Calendar view as cards. To convert a meeting into a worklog:
- In the Calendar, click on the meeting you want to convert into a worklog.
- If you wish, add a description in the What were you working on? field and review the time worked.
- If you haven’t already [linked a JIRA issue to the calendar event], select a JIRA issue to link by using Select JIRA Issues.
- Click on Convert Event to Worklog.